A GPS tracking device, geotracking system, or just GPS track is a portable navigation unit usually on an automobile, boat, human or pet that utilizes the Global Positioning System to identify its current location and determine its precise position to within a few meters. This system was developed by the U.S. Department of Defense and is used in military operations and high-performance racing cars. The technology was later made available to the public. There are various manufacturers of GPS trackers with different features and capabilities. Each has advantages and disadvantages, depending on the specific use of the tracker.
A GPS tracker uses the Global Positioning System (GPS), which is a constellation of satellites that orbit the earth. It works by synchronizing data from a number of monitoring devices and receivers with the computer programs of the GPS tracking system. Some GPS trackers are capable of transmitting their log data over the internet to a remote location through a connection to a data network. Other trackers can receive their log data over the airwaves using radio frequencies. GPS trackers also have the ability to store their information in a remote location, so it may be stored or retrieved at a later date for reporting or analyzing.
There are several benefits of GPS tracking: fleet management, route mapping, locating personnel and resources, re-organizing a route, hazard analysis, inventory tracking, cost allocation, and more. Fleet managers benefit greatly from GPS tracking because they are able to determine the exact location of vehicles, where employees are located, and what maintenance needs they have. With fleet GPS trackers, fleet managers can also view detailed logs of the fuel consumption of each vehicle, which reduces the risk of excessive idling and mileage surpassing the limit allowed. In addition, fleet managers can see which employee is responsible for which vehicle is meeting performance goals, which makes it easier to ensure that they are meeting company goals.
A GPS navigation device can be installed on personal vehicles like cars, trucks, and vans, as well as on commercial vehicles such as fleets. Most modern GPS navigation devices have built-in GPS transmitters, which can be connected to the computers of the drivers or to the servers of fleet management companies. The GPS transmitters to locate and determine the position of the vehicle on the road. Then, using data from the satellites, the GPS navigation device transmits this information back to the computer in the form of map coordinates.
GPS trackers are available for tracking both trucks and commercial fleets. Trackers can be used on trucks to determine the exact locations of the vehicles in real time. They also help truck drivers know the direction they should take to arrive at their destination. On commercial fleets, GPS trackers can be used for scheduling and sending out deliveries. This helps save time and improve the efficiency of deliveries.
A GPS tracking unit is essential to a number of different industries, such as construction, landscaping, and delivery. While some of these industries already have in-house GPS device tracking systems, many are beginning to look to install portable GPS trackers for personal vehicle tracking. Portable vehicle tracking systems have become much more affordable over the past year or so, thanks to improvements in GPS technology. Now, GPS trackers can fit into the smallest of vehicles and can provide the most detailed information about a driver or vehicle in general.
- Unlimited distance real time tracking. Monthly fee is required. Full USA & all countries worldwide coverage. International SIM card included. Track Vehicles, Cars, trucks, Children, dogs, elderly, motorcycle, ATV, boat, equipment, tools, assets, car fleets, valuable belonging. Monthly fee of 19.95USD is required. Also available prepaid long-term plans for 16.60, 13.95 or 9.95USD. (See more details about the monthly fee at the end of the big paragraph)
- Tracki is super small (1.75x1.5x0.55in) and super light (1.26 oz). Comes with SIM card included and works worldwide. Included attachments: Strong magnet, Dog collar water resistant silicone cover, Belt clip, Key-chain, lanyard. 5 years history. 30-75 days batt tracking 1-3 times/day. Optional 6x larger batt can last 6-10 months tracking 1-3 times/day.
- Personal GPS for reliable tracking of people, vehicles, and/or assets
- Ultra-compact design | 100% Waterproof | Built-in Super Strength Magnet
- Accurate, Discreet, Real-Time GPS Tracker with POWERFUL Twin Magnet Case.
- $19.95 per month - Quarterly 5% off | Bi-Annual 10% off | Annual 20% off subscription plan - All features included - Cancel Anytime - No Contract - No Hidden Fees - All tracker update options are included as fast as 10 second report frequency
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.