Thumb sucking is a concern many parents have. Toddlers suck their thumbs because it’s comforting and calming. It’s probably something they did before they were born and revert back to it when they are nervous, agitated, scared or ill. They may also use it to lull themselves back to sleep in the middle of the night.
Parents shouldn’t concern themselves unless it continues after the age their permanent teeth begin to appear, around six years old. Experts say that it’s the intensity of the thumb sucking and the tongue’s thrust that deforms teeth and makes braces necessary later. Children who rest their thumb passively in their mouth are less likely to have difficulty than children who suck aggressively. If you’re concerned, closely monitor your child and analyze his technique. If they appears to be sucking vigorously, you may want to begin curbing their habit earlier.
Punishing or nagging your child to stop won’t help because it’s usually an automatic response. Attempting to curb it by putting an elastic bandage on his thumb or another method will seem like unjust punishment, especially since they indulge in the habit for comfort and security.
Try to wait it out. Children usually give up thumb-sucking when they’ve found other ways to calm and comfort themselves. Consider offering them other alternatives to comfort themselves such as a soft blanket or lullaby toy
The key is to notice when and where they are likely to suck their thumbs and offer an alternative. If it happens while they are tired, try giving more naps. If they suck their thumb frequently while watching television, try to distract them with a toy that will keep their hands occupied.
Older children may need gentle reminders to curtail thumb sucking while in public, and praise should be given freely when the child finds and uses an acceptable alternative. Your child’s pediatric dentist can offer other suggestions for helping your child kick the thumb sucking habit.
- 😍 STOP thumb sucking or finger sucking in just 5-21 days! Recommended #1 by Pediatric Dentists to break the thumbsucking habit; STOP hand from comfortably reaching the mouth
- 🙄 Other thumb guards and finger guards collect slobber and germs - kids chew on them - and they must be removed for washing hands; and thumb sucking nail polish does not work while sleeping or for kids under 3.
- NEW Ergonomic and Ventilated design to comfortably break the habit in 30 days or less!
- Made in the USA, and recommended by Dentists! More than 95% Success Rate!
- NAIL BITING TREATMENT FOR KIDS - Does your kid bite their nails & haven't found a solution? NIXXIT Nail Biting Preventative will help break your child’s habit once and for all. As parents’ and former nail biters’ we understand how difficult it can be, after years of research we’ve created the product we wish we had for our kids, our bitter but safe formula will help stop your kids habit.
- STOP THUMB SUCKING FOR CHILDREN - NIXXIT’s specially designed formula helps prevent thumbsucking, as well as, nail & cuticle biting. Each application lasts up to 3 hours depending on how often you wash your hands. Product can be removed from nails with standard soap and warm water to ensure bitter flavor won’t be tasted upon eating.
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.