Archery – The skill of shooting an Arrow using a Bow was in the bygone ages a military weapon and also a hunting method before the invention of gunpowder. It is mainly confined now as a competitive sport used for target shooting.
A bow is a weapon that shoots arrows using the elasticity of the bow. The bow is made of a strip of flexible material with a cord linking the two ends of the strip to provide tension from which is propelled the arrow which is a straight shaft with a sharp point on one end or have flints and usually with feathers attached to the other end.
The modern day ‘Target Archery‘ involves shooting arrows at a target from a pre-set distance. A Recurve bow is the only type of bow allowed to be used. Archery competitions may be held indoors or outdoors. Indoor distances are 18 m and 25 m. Outdoor distances range from 30 m to 90m depending on the seniority and 70 m is being used in the Olympic Games. Competition is divided into ends where an archer shoots either 3 or 6 arrows per end, depending on the type of round. There are 20 ends of 3 arrows in a round for indoor competition, but outdoor rounds generally involve more arrows per round. At the end, the competitors walk upto the target to score and retrieve their arrows.
Targets are painted with 10 evenly spaced concentric rings, which have score values from 1 through 10 assigned to them. Targets are colored as follows:
Outermost 1 ring & 2 ring – white
3 ring & 4 ring – black
5 ring & 6 ring – blue
7 ring & 8 ring – red
Innermost 9 rings & 10 ring – gold
There is an innermost ring, sometimes called the 10X ring or the Bull’s-eye.
The score for each arrow depends upon where it hits on the target. The highest score, a ten, is awarded by shooting an arrow into the two inner most circles. The bull’s-eye ring is typically as a tiebreaker with most X’s winning. Missing the rings on the target results in a zero score and in case of Line breaker where an arrow just touches a boundary line will be awarded the higher score. Scores are tallied at the end of each round or volley of arrows by summing the scores for their arrows which are recorded on a score sheet.
- Marinas Sr., Amante P. (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- READY TO HUNT: Ready to Hunt (RTH) bows come complete with a Joker 4-pin sight, 5-spot quiver, Whisker Biscuit, D-loop, Contraband bow string, and no tie peep sight
- MADE FOR ARCHERS OF ALL AGES: Maximum-versatility bow engineered for all ages and skill levels
- This Archery shirt is a perfect gift for an archer who loves hunting apparel. Wear this cool tee to target practice. Don't forget to wear this shirt with your archery accesories. Whether Target, Field, 3D, Traditional Archery or Bowhunting, sport this tee!
- Archery, or Arcus has been used for hunting and combat and modernized to be a sport. A person who participates in archery is called an archer or a bowman, and an expert is sometimes called a toxophilite. Archery Lovers and Bow and Arrow Hunters TShirt!
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.