Soreness within the big toe or hallux joint that is painful whenever walking is mostly commonly due to osteoarthritis and is generally given the term more frequently known as hallux rigidus when the joint is very stiff or hallux limitus if it is not so inflexible. Hallux rigidus is uncomfortable whenever walking, so if its very painful resting, it may much more likely be gout symptoms than a hallux rigidus. Considering the hallux rigidus, when we are walking and the rearfoot commences to lift up off the ground, the big toe joint would need to move for that movement to happen. If that movement has limitations or there exists a painful osteoarthritis in the big toe joint, then that it is not really as simple simply to walk. It’s a good idea that if this joint is painful when walking, then a obvious way to deal the discomfort on motion should be to minimize exactly how much the joint moves.
There are several ways to do that. One simple method in which Podiatrists use is with felt pads which can be stuck on the foot beneath the great toe and ball of the foot or strapping could be used to strap the big toe joint. Both of these tend to be really good short term methods, but just unrealistic for the long run. Should you need a foot support for some other reasons, there is an extension that the Podiatrist may add on the front of the foot support that is referred to as a Morton’s extension which they can use to restrict up the big toe joint by restricting bending or flexion of the feet. Another way is to use a carbon fibre insert plate which generally are less than 1.5mm thick to allow them to fit readily into the footwear and are quite inflexible. These carbon fibre plates are often helpful to treat hallux rigidus and other problems for example turf toe that need to restrict the movements of the hallux joint. The research evidence is they are fairly effective at dealing the pain in the hallux joint in these types of conditions. Another way to take care of the pain from your osteoarthritis and hallux rigidus could be to simply use shoes that can be more rigid across the front foot. The more bendable the sole of the footwear is, the greater that the big toe or hallux joint will bend and also the more probable it is to be uncomfortable when walking. There are some types of footwear, particularly the Hoka athletic shoes, that contain a rocker and extra padding built into them which are particularly beneficial at this. The effect of the rocker in these footwear is that the big toe doesn’t need to bend just as much as the foot moves forward on the rocker. A pedorthist or shoe maker could add a rocker to a lot of different types of footwear to get the same thing.
In case you have hallux rigidus or osteoarthritis in the great toe or hallux joint, then there are options in the short term to take care of the pain and choices in the longer term to control the motion of the big toe joint that it is not as uncomfortable.
- ✅ HIGH-QUALITY MORTONS EXTENSION ORTHOTIC INSERT: Sold as a single Insole (1 PIECE). The Turf Toe plate is made of 3K twill pure carbon fiber. This stiff carbon insole for men and women is suitable for either foot - Flip it over. NB: Check with your doctor if this is the product you need.
- ✅ CARBON FIBER INSOLE TO SUPPORT THE BIG TOE: This 1,6 mm thick flat toe support shoe insert with no contoured arch is durable, lightweight, thin corrosion-free and warm to the touch. The function of this carbon fiber shoe insert is to limit the range of motion and remove excess pressure from the big toe.
- ✅ PREMIUM QUALITY CARBON FIBER SHOE INSOLE: 3K twill pure carbon fiber foot plate insert is sold as a single insole (1 PIECE). This stiff insole for men and women can be worn on your right or left foot. NB: Check with your doctor if this is the right product for you.
- ✅ CARBON GRAPHITE SHOE PLATE DESIGN AND FUNCTION: Carbon shoe insert is 1.2 mm thick 180 degrees flat plate. Unique material properties make this durable, thin, lightweight, warm to the touch and corrosion-free. The primary purpose of this rigid shoe insert is to stiffen the sole of the shoe - Stiff shoe insole reduces flexibility and decreases range of foot motion.
- 1.6MM SUPER RIGID - This rigid carbon fiber insert is used for more acute injuries that need more rigidity to limit foot flexibility. suit for Injuries such as Lis Franc, metatarsal fractures, acute turf toe, hallux limitus/ hallux rigidus, and transition from walking boot to shoe.
- 100% CARBON FIBER MATERIAL - The Carbon fiber insole is made of 100% 3k carbon fiber, durable and super lightweight, It can provide sufficient support for the foot that won't bring your foot extra burden.
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.